Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Twitter

I’ve neglected my Twitter account for years. Not that I was ever that active, except for a flurry of tweets pouring down like desert summer rain. Lately though, I’ve decided to become more active since I’m trying to stay connected to the medium of choice for dynamic Arab youth. I got my twitter handle just insure its availability to me if and when I decide to use it, @walidaj. Twitter is not an important communication platform in my circles here in the U.S., so it was never that important to log on. In the beginning, as all new toys demand, I gave it time and effort to figure it out and ended following close to 2000 handles. Finding no value in following such a large number of people I decided to trim the fat. I was advised by a number of experts not to “unfollow” many people all at once, for fear of losing them as reciprocal followers. Hmmmm, I have made up my mind to clean up my handle and follow only those I really would like to hear from, including news sources throwing caution to the wind.

I log on to my handle after multiple password tries; cleaning your twitter as cleaning your room it doesn’t come easy, but it must be done. To my surprise, I am following many Kuwaitis. It must be that many of them have followed me. Don’t blame me, I did what everyone said was the thing to do; if someone follows you, you should follow them back. I don’t think it’s the norm these days though. I’m not sure why would they follow someone who declares in his bio “A Saudi-American; born in Texas, raised in Saudi, now in Washington.” I was upfront with people. I’ve noticed that national identity is a primery part of most handles bio statement. In fact, it is such a pivotal issue that some confirme that “my nation is a redline.” To be honest, I am not sure what that means. Not to be rude, but are they saying that their weakness is someone calling their nation out? Are they unable to respond to frivolous claims if they arise? Or maybe, they refuse to open their eyes to see the reality of their nation when others point out the facts on the ground?

Never mind, first on the list to unfollow are handles with blank bios. If these people didn’t make the effort to introduce themselves, then I can’t be blamed for unfollowing ghosts. After all, bios are their opportunity to make a good first impression; a handshake if you will. Not having a bio says that the person does not care - why should I? Besides, if they’re not willing to take the time to introduce themselves, then why would I show them any courtesy? Secondly, I will unfollow those who have fantastic over-the-top declaration of love for nation, family, or others -such love doesn’t tell me much about them. Most people love their country and family. But I will most enjoy unfollowing cat lovers because I don’t like cats; they make me sneeze (digitally too). Finally, I will unfollow those whose bios include sports or hobby interests. Why you ask, because I don’t share their interest.

I have about 2,000 followers at this point. I would think that after deleting most of them I will end up with less than 500. I have no illusions that they are gripped by what I have to say; rather they would be handles for those neglecting to revise and edit their follow list. Not to be too cynical, but Twitter seems to me more like a high school-level popularity contest. People do what they must to keep their numbers up. Their priority is for the number of followers and Klout score, forgetting that Twitter offers a medium for expression, information and engagement. So, dear readers, please follow my handle @walidaj to help boost my Twitter self-esteem; and oh yeah, cat lovers need not apply lol

Walid Jawad



No comments:

Post a Comment