Monday, July 8, 2013

I Deny the Charges

We all get parking tickets; at least that is what I tell myself (luckily for you Saudi women you don’t have to deal with that headache; just the headache of hiring a driver, buying a car and keeping it in running order although you’re not offered to do any of that yourselves). Most of you who had the chance to visit the U.S. know that you pay for street parking just about anywhere you go. Not only that, but you have to make sure to read all the different posted signs regulating the length of time your allowed to park in that zone and which hours of the day are permissible.

Not too long ago, I got back to my parked car, at 7th and Independence avenue in Washington DC, to find a $100 parking ticket for a “no parking during rush hour.” I was baffled as the GREEN sign said “9:30am – 10pm”. Upon further examination, I found a red sign saying no parking “4pm – 6:30pm.” Needless to say I wanted to challenge the ticket for posting conflicting regulations, of which I was a victim.

The ticket’s instructions included a “Walk-In” hearing option. So I went to the DC Court building the very next day. I thought that I will get a chance to talk to the Department of Motor Vehicle representative first to show him/her the picture I took of the sign to resolve the issue without the need for a hearing. My impression was inline with my only other ticket appeal, which was in Saudi 20 years ago or so. At the time, I had to go to “Al-Muroor” to talked to a police Captain who promptly discounted it by 50% without even hearing my complete explanation. The system in the U.S. is a bit different.

I walked into the courthouse and was given a number. After a while the number was called with 5 others. We were asked to go to hearing room #1147. Upon the administrative judges explanation of the proceedings he asked us to raise our right hand to take the oath. Afterwards when I was called, just like the movies, I was asked to state my name and address. My hearing was the second of the group. The Judge had questions about the facts of “case,” then asked whether I accept, deny, or “not contest” the ticket. I promptly said “I deny” with a chest filled with pride and confidence (after all how many times do you get to make such a declaration without being in hot water?) After providing the picture of the sign with my car in the background the judge dismissed the ticket requesting a physical copy of the picture to process the papers (I dropped it off a day later).

I’m glad that I took the time to challenge the system. I appreciate a system where the “burden of proof” is on the government. As I walked out of the courthouse I was grateful that I did NOT needed vitamin “Waw/wasta.” I also was happy not to have been made to feel like someone was doing me a favor as they do their job.

Justice was served.


Walid A. Jawad

No comments:

Post a Comment